George W. Weir Asphalt Construction - Small Business of the Year for 75th District Jun 14, 2014
By MARIE WALDRON
Small business is the backbone of the nation’s economy, but its impact is often much wider. Through involvement in areas outside the world of business, small businesses often become part of the very fabric of their communities.
George Weir is a perfect example. He founded George Weir Asphalt Construction 35 years ago in Escondido. When George started his company, he had little more than his truck, a shovel and a willingness to work hard. From his asphalt construction business to his production and aggregate facilities, George’s hard work has paid off.
George would not credit his own efforts for his accomplishments, however. A devout Christian, he never hesitates to credit his Savior, Jesus Christ, for his success. With a generous heart, George strives to serve the people who have supported him over the years by donating his time and treasure to the community he loves.
In addition to supporting several faith-based and community charities, his contributions include a free Escondido pothole repair program, efforts to beautify downtown Escondido by helping to build the city’s Heritage Garden, turkeys donated to the Salvation Army for Thanksgiving and rock that he hauled away during construction of Palomar Hospital. There are few in the community his actions have not benefited.
Consequently, I take great pleasure in recognizing George Weir as this year’s California Small Business of the Year award winner for the 75th Assembly District. Thank you George for your community involvement and your generous contributions to our region.
Marie Waldron serves as Assemblywoman of the 75th Assembly District.
- George W. Weir Asphalt Construction - Small Business of the Year for 75th District Jun 14, 2014
- Cleaner Water with Asphalt Pavement? Dec 17, 2013
- Smoothness Matters Nov 12, 2013
- What you need to know when considering paving your driveway Oct 24, 2013
- What is asphalt made of? Oct 11, 2013
- Escondido's Infrastructure Oct 02, 2013
- Jobs in the Asphalt Pavement Industry Sep 19, 2013
- Escondido City Hall Approves Escondido Asphalt Plant Expansion Aug 29, 2013
- New Asphalt Plant Proposed in Oceanside Aug 28, 2013
- George Weir: Rock Solid Philanthropist Jul 19, 2013
- Is asphalt paving environmentally friendly? The research says yes! Jul 17, 2013
- George Weir Asphalt gives back to the community Jul 11, 2013
- Multi-week paving project in San Marcos commences Jul 10, 2013
- Research Findings: Concrete Pavements Make Urban Heat Islands Worse, Not Better! Jul 09, 2013
- Heritage Garden - A Community Garden Apr 30, 2013
- VC man's recycling unit saves Palomar YMCA $10,000 Feb 14, 2004